Everyone loves a color story, especially one they can eat. Our friends at Gather Journal shared this brilliant recipe with us. Serve your guests appetizers in a spectrum of shades, or pick out just a few of your favorite colors for a more focused party (red, white, and blue; red and green, etc.)
Note: Amounts vary based upon which colors you are serving and the number of folks in your party. When in doubt, start with the smallest amount, serve it up, and see what happens.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Mild Blue Cheese (optional)
Dark Red Grapes
Flat Leaf Parsley
Spicy White Anchovies
- Thinly slice a baguette. Brush each piece with olive oil.
- Toast in a 350°F oven until golden, roughly 10-15 minutes.
Balsamic Reduction (Red and Violet Toasts)
- Simmer 1/4 cup of balsamic until reduced by half and cool.
- Top toasts with ricotta, halved grape tomatoes, and a few capers.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction and extra virgin olive oil. Finish with few cracks of black pepper.
- Julienne zucchini, then toss with a extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Use just enough liquid to coat, but not so much that the zucchini becomes soggy.
- Top toasts with ricotta, dressed zucchini, chopped pistachios, and a caper berry.
- Top toasts with ricotta, prosciutto, slices of pineapple.
- Drizzle on extra virgin olive oil, and finish with a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Spread toasts with ricotta. Layer on a few leaves of flat-leaf parsley.
- Top with spicy white anchovies. You can either use store-bought or marinate your own in a mixture of oil and harissa or sriracha).
- Spread toasts with mild blue cheese or ricotta.
- Top with blueberries and gently smashed blackberries.
- Spread toasts with ricotta.
- Top with sliced dark red grapes.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction, extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkling of salt.